Mountainbike La Berra mit Greyerzersee im Hintergrund
Städtchen Gruyères, Abschnitt auf dem Alpenpanoramaweg
For sports enthusiasts, culture lovers and sun-seekers: the mountains, lakes and historic towns of the region of Fribourg captivate everyone.
Across the region runs the language border of French-speaking Switzerland: in the northeast people speak German, in the rest of the region it's French.
Attractions in Fribourg
Nature and culture in the region of Fribourg
Off to the outdoors: scenic highlights
Historical paths through Freiburg
In the capital city of Fribourg (Fribourg), one of the largest historic city centers in Switzerland is waiting to be discovered by you. The river Saane meanders through Fribourg, enclosing most of the old town on three sides.
The town was founded as early as the 12th century. The architecture and art of bygone times can still be admired today: historic buildings, numerous bridges and fortifications line the Saane. Museums and exhibition halls round out the offerings for culture lovers.
Photo: larairimeeva, Adobe Stock
Discover the region
Authentic Experiences and Guided Tours
The Best Time to Visit
Freiburg is on the main axis of the rail connection between Geneva and Zürich. In Switzerland, the SBB is in charge of organising train traffic. In the region of Fribourg, most of the public transport lines are operated by the TPF.
- SBB: The Swiss Federal Railways operate most of the important transport connections in Switzerland. On their homepage, you can find almost all timetables for public transport in Switzerland.
- TPF: The Fribourg Transport Authority is the most important transport provider in the region of Fribourg. The TPF operates öff public transport in the city of Fribourg, most bus services in the region and several rail lines.
Two main sections of the Swiss motorway network cross the Fribourg region: the east-west link A1 and the A12, which connects Bern with Vevey.
- A1: Connects Bern with Lausanne, through Murten, Avenches, Payerne and Estavayer-le-Lac. .
- A12: Connects Bern with Vevey, through Fribourg, Bulle and Châtel-St-Denis.
From our region you can reach the three most important Swiss airports Zürich-Kloten, Geneva-Cointrin and Basel-Mulhouse in less than an hour and a half's drive. Bern-Belp regional airport is less than an hour away.
- Geneva-Cointrin airport: The international airport is 135 km away from Fribourg, the journey time by car is 1 h 40 min. From the airport station, there is a train connection to Fribourg every 30 min (journey time: 1 ½ h) .
- Airport Zürich-Kloten: The international airport is 160 km away from Fribourg, the journey by car takes 1 h 50 min. From the airport railway station there is a train connection to Fribourg every 30 min (journey time: 1 ½ h) .
- Euro-Airport Basel-Mulhouse: The Euro-Airport is 130 km away from Freiburg, the journey time by car is 1 h 35 min. A shuttle bus runs regularly to Basel railway station, from there there is a train connection to Freiburg every 30 min (journey time: 1 ½ h) .
- Berne-Belp airport: The airport is 40 km from Fribourg, the journey time by car is 50 min. A shuttle bus runs every hour to Berne station, from there there is a train connection to Fribourg every 30 min (journey time Belp-Berne: 20 min.).